the perks of being a wallflower – Stephen Chbosky

Posted by Jeremy Clarke on June 14, 2004 · General

the perks of being a wallflower I originally borrowed The Perks of Being a Wallflower, generally considered to be the official novel of Emo-Kids everywhere, from a friend out of a sense of irony. Like I would read it and laugh at all the emo-kids and their silly book about mix-tapes and breaking up.

It is very very very good. The kind of sad that can only make you feel happy to have experienced it, and the kind of weird that makes you sad because the book isn’t very long. It’s a kind of Catcher in the Rye but with more sincerity and less indignation.

It is 08:44 and i’ve been reading since 03:00 when I woke up. At the risk of blogging my sleep cycles, I will say that this is a book you should be reading regardless of how much sleep you’ve had. And that I will lend it to you once I get my copy in the mail.

Posted by Jeremy Clarke on June 14, 2004 · General

6 Comments

1. Johnny Boy

It is a very excellent book but it isn’t as good as Catcher In the Rye. One of the little touches I like is that the grammar and everything actually improves as the book progresses as the kid gets better at writing his letters.

June 14th, 2004 at 2:14 pm

2. jer

HA! it’s your copy i read! that’s like stealing!

June 14th, 2004 at 2:43 pm

3. phil

a friend threw that book at me a few months ago, but i never got around to reading it. damn.

June 15th, 2004 at 11:43 am

4. Genelle

this book is amazing .. i am actually writing an
    essay comparing catcher in the rye and perks and
    i find both Charlie and Holden very similar
    both are exellent book and perfect as a teen angst
    novel

May 19th, 2006 at 6:21 pm

5. Valentina

I chose to read this book because I wanted to. I do not consider
    myself an emo-kid. Or do I think that I am any way affiliated with
    it. But I do have to say that I immensely enjoyed it.
    And I’m glad you enjoyed it to.
    Also, I found this website when I was looking for essay help.
    It didn’t help, but it made me smile. On the inside.

June 5th, 2006 at 4:17 pm

6. Brit

this is one of the best books i have ever read. until today, i didn’t know that emo kids used it as a bible or even looked at it as an emo novel. i just oved the characters and everything about the book.

December 24th, 2006 at 1:37 am

Add new comment (email only seen by Jeremy)